Sketches Inspired by Resort Collections



If you follow me on Instagram (@brooklit) you'll know that over the past few weeks I've been busy sketching some favorite designer looks inspired by resort 2016 collections. I've always loved the resort season collections, which are shown mid way through the fall and spring shows. Since so fewer pieces are shown designers have to keep their designs focused and concise. They also remind me of mini collection projects I'd design back in college. Each piece needs to serve a purpose, be well thought out and fit into the overall theme of the collection. Unlike fall and spring collections which can have as many as 120 pieces with both "filler" pieces and more avant garde looks that are solely for a dramatic runway moment, resort can have as few as 15-20 pieces.
The first collection I've illustrated here is Marchesa, consistently flawless, feminine and always a favorite of mine. This Moroccan inspired Resort collection featured a bounty of embroidered flowers inspired by Moroccan tiling, with intricate laces and a beautiful color palette of blush pinks, coral, black, white, gold and navy. In rendering this collection I chose the silhouettes I liked most that were also comprised of the laces and full floral embroideries that made the collection so exquisite and I enjoy rendering. The two to the right were two of my favorites both within the collection and in the outcome of the illustration. Theres something about sheer fabrics, like the v-neck white lace jumpsuit and peach organza bell-sleeve dress that make them so chic.
Rachel Zoe is next. Black and white is an eternal favorite of mine, along with much of the New York fashion set and her Resort 16' collection combined them beautifully with shimmer, embellishments and luxe fabrics. My favorite pieces to illustrate (shown above) were the ones that used beaded fringe, black and white stripes and chevron, and combinations of leather and suede. I illustrated these girls very elongated and stylized. This is the fashion illustration style I favor most however rarely use anymore since clients tend to prefer a "healthier" girl. To me though this is the epitome of fashion illustration. After completing these sketches I really want to keep along this vein and try to do more in this style, at least when drawing for myself, where I'm the sole opinion that needs to be taken into account.
Last up is Elizabeth and James by Mary-Kate and Ashley Olsen. This collection, in my eyes, was the for the quintessential "cool girl." Another classic palette of black and white featuring loose and slouchy dresses, wide-leg trousers and tailored blazers. They played with proportions and volume and put together a strong resort collection. Surprisingly the pant looks were my favorite to illustrate of the all the pieces, as show above middle and below.
For design students looking for mini collection inspiration or to the fashionphile looking to explore new designers I suggest browsing through the resort collections, always a hit in my book.

Leave a Comment

Michelle said...

Marchesa's collections always blow my mind. They're always so feminine. I cannot get enough of that line. I didn't know MK&A were still designing! I was a huge MK&A fan growing up! And of course, your illustrations are stunning - you never disappoint.

Michelle
www.michelleford.gy/blog

Brooke Hagel said...

@Michelle, yes they're absolutely still designing and doing it quite well! In addition to Elizabeth and James they also design The Row. You should check it out. Beautifully done!

Unknown said...

i like your work

Brooke Hagel said...

@darajati thank you!

Doran // HauteBeautyGuide said...

Your talent amazes me! I can barely draw a straight line.

Brooke Hagel said...

@Doran thank you!

Anonymous said...

those legs couldn't get any skinnier :(

Anonymous said...

this is AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!I love it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!