Orthodox Bride



Meet my beautiful friend Sarah. Sarah commissioned me to do a custom illustration of her in her wedding gown. (I didn't know her at the time of her wedding otherwise I would have offered one as my wedding gift, as I do for all my friends who are about to head down the aisle!) Sarah is an Orthodox Jew and therefore her wedding gown was modest, with a high neckline and long sleeves. This was out of my "bridal drawing comfort zone".
Drawing a bride is hard because they wear intricately detailed white gowns that I have to draw on white paper. Usually all the skin shown with a strapless gown helps to give the illustration depth and a frame of sorts around the dress, so this one obviously didn't have that. Also, knowing Sarah, she is such a beautiful girl, both inside and out and one of the most kind hearted people I've ever met. I wanted to really capture her in my illustration. (cheesy I know, but its true!) But I'm really pleased with the outcome and so was Sarah.

Leave a Comment

adesignaffair said...

Love Sarah! Love this post.

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful idea for a wedding gift! You've really captured her joy and excitement :-)

Reyni Ramírez said...

hello!!! i love ur illustrations, & ur blog, im fashion designer and ilustrator too, i follow u now, please visit my blog
xoxo

Erin @ SYL: Slipcover Your Life said...

It came out so well!!!

Amy Parkison said...

Oh my goodness - so lovely!